Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the Healthways Fitness Your Way program?
The Federal Employee Program has partnered with Healthways to provide a consumer fitness program called Healthways Fitness Your Way. The goal of the program is to offer optimal flexibility to members for their goals, their budget and their time.
What is included in the offering?
- The Fitness Network. An unlimited fitness membership that provides access to nearly 8,000 fitness locations nationwide, anytime and anywhere. For example, you can visit Curves® in the morning and Anytime Fitness® at night.
- The Daily Challenge. Engaging challenges utilizing social networking, gaming and rewards.
- Online Support. 24/7 access to online tools, trackers and coaching through the Healthways Fitness Your Way website (fitnessyourway.healthways.com).
How much does the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program cost?
For unlimited access to all components a member pays only $25 to enroll and $25 per month (per participant).
Do I have to pay taxes on my membership fees?
Taxes will be applied to your membership fees at the rate specified by your local or state government.
Are my membership fees reimbursable under my health plan benefits or health saving account?
No, these are not considered eligible expenses under health plan benefits or health savings account rules.
Who is eligible?
Members and their dependents over age 18 who have either the Basic Option or Standard Option medical benefits with a participating Blue Plan.
Note: The Healthways Fitness Your Way Program does not offer family membership rates.
How do I enroll?
Enrolling in the program is quick and easy. You have two options:
Enroll by phone by calling (888) 242-2060, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone.
Note: If you plan to visit one of our major partners (Anytime Fitness, SNAP Fitness, or Bally Total Fitness), before your first visit please follow the additional instructions below under “Member Cards.”
- Go to fepblue.org, click on the MyBlue link at the bottom of the home page, and log in with your user name and password.
- Under the “My Health” heading, click on “Sign up for the health club membership…”
- Read about the program and find a fitness center near you.
- Enroll and pay the $25 initiation fee and $25 monthly membership fee, agreeing to a 3-month commitment. (Note: Payment is made online when you enroll. You cannot enroll in the Healthways Fitness Your Way program directly at a fitness center).
- Print your temporary card.
- Visit your fitness center of choice with your card and mention the Healthways Prime Network.
Can I enroll directly at the fitness center?
No. You must enroll on line or by phone to get your temporary Healthways Fitness Your Way member identification card which will allow you access to any of the fitness centers in the network.
What is my membership commitment?
There is a three-month commitment; fees are billed monthly. You may cancel your membership at any time after the initial three months.
Can I use the program the same day I enroll?
Yes. A temporary member ID card is available to you online upon completion of your enrollment. You may use it immediately at any participating fitness location.
If you enroll online you will be taken to an enrollment confirmation web page after you complete the enrollment process. The confirmation page includes a printable temporary member card as well as your payment confirmation information.
If you enroll by phone, you will also need to print a temporary member ID card. Log in to fepblue.org and log into myblue
- Sign in using your user name and password
- Click on the “Health Club Membership” link to access a printable, temporary member card.
- Simply print your temporary member ID card and take it to any fitness location in the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program network to get started.
- Note: If you plan to visit one of our major partners (Anytime Fitness, SNAP Fitness, or Bally Total Fitness), before your first visit please follow the additional instructions below under “Member Cards.”
Remember, you have unlimited access to any fitness location in the network.
Healthways Fitness Your Way Network of Participating Locations
Which fitness locations are part of the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program?
The Healthways Fitness Your Way Program includes national and regional chain locations and local exercise facilities. To find a location near you, simply log in to fepblue.org and then log into myblue. Access the link “Find a participating Health Club.” Enter your zip code in the fitness center search. You may also call customer service at (888) 242-2060, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone and follow the prompts to find a fitness location.
What do I do if the fitness location I’ve been going to closes or stops participating in this program?
You are not limited to any one fitness location or chain. If a fitness location closes, please call us or go online to search for other fitness locations in your desired zip code. (See instructions above under “Which fitness locations are part of the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program?”) The Healthways Fitness Your Way Program is always adding new fitness locations to the network.
How often are fitness center contracts renewed?
Healthways contracts with fitness centers are renewed annually and most facilities stay in the program indefinitely. However, at times a facility may choose to leave the network or close. If that happens, members are still able to visit any of the other locations in our network of over 8,000 participating facilities. Members may also elect to cancel their membership without penalty after the end of their three-month commitment.
How do I nominate a fitness location to be added to the network?
You may nominate a fitness location to be added to the network by going to fepblue.org and finding the Health Club Membership link under the Health and Wellness heading. Log in to MyBlue and click on the Fitness Centers link. Or you may call customer service at (888) 242-2060, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone. To nominate a fitness center location, press “3.”
Note: Nomination of a fitness location does not guarantee participation in our program. The fitness location must meet certain qualifications to be part of our network and agree to participate. The contract process may take up to six months. You can check current locations using the Fitness Centers link mentioned above or by calling customer service for a status update if your nominated location has not yet been added.
What criteria are used to evaluate fitness locations for participation in the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program?
- Atmosphere and friendliness of staff
- Overall capacity
- Handicap accessibility
- Availability of other amenities
What is my Healthways Fitness Your Way Program card used for?
Your Healthways Fitness Your Way Program member card gives you access to all participating fitness locations.
The fitness location is having trouble swiping my card. What should I do?
All participating fitness locations have the necessary contact information to help them determine if there is a problem with their card reader or with your card. If your card is not working, you may request a replacement card by contacting Customer Service at (888) 242-2060, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone. Or log in to fepblue.org. Go to the Health and Wellness section, click on Health Club Membership and click on the Fitness Program link. From there you will be able to request a replacement card by clicking on My Account / My Membership Card. A printable, temporary card will be available for your use while your replacement card is sent to you.
Why do I need a card other than my Healthways Fitness Your Way Program member card for some of the fitness locations?
Because many fitness locations have their own unique member registration processes, they may issue their own member cards or tracking devices to allow you easy access to their facilities. Please keep the appropriate member card(s) handy for access to any fitness location in the network you wish to use.
Do I register for all participating fitness locations the same way?
For most facilities, you will take your Healthways Fitness Your Way card directly into the location to get registered in their system.
When enrolling at any of our major partners
- Make sure you have your Healthways Fitness Your Way card (or temporary card) with you during your first visit to an Anytime Fitness location.
- You will need to make your initial visit during hours when the location is staffed in order to register and to receive a key fob for future access. Members can go to www.anytimefitness.com or call their local Anytime Fitness location for staffed hours, as those hours vary by location.
- Once you’ve been issued a key fob, you may scan it at the front door electronic entrance pad to unlock the door. You should always bring your fob with you in order to access the fitness center when it is not staffed.
- Make sure you have your Healthways Fitness Your Way card (or temporary card) with you during your first visit to a SNAP Fitness location.
- Call ahead to make sure that the location will be staffed when you arrive, as some SNAP locations are staffed limited hours (though SNAP Fitness locations are open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week).
- Come prepared to fill out SNAP Fitness’ enrollment paperwork, which will enable the staff to enroll you in their system and give you a SNAP Global Access Card.
- Your SNAP card is issued at no charge and will allow you door entry to any SNAP Fitness location nationwide.
Bally Total Fitness:
Bally Total Fitness has a separate registration process for you to complete on fepblue.org before your first visit to the location. Go to the Health and Wellness section and click on Health Club Membership, then click on the Fitness Program link. Please follow the steps below to complete your Bally registration prior to your first visit:
- Select “Fitness Center Search.”
- Search for a Bally location near you.
- When you’ve found the desired location, click on the link below that location’s amenities: “Online registration required! Click Here.”
- Verify that your information is correct (including your email address), click the “I consent” checkbox, then click “Continue.”
- Accept the Terms and Conditions and click “Finish.”
- You will receive an email from Bally with your new Bally ID number. Print that email and bring it—along with your Healthways Fitness Your Way card—to the Bally location.
- The staff at that location will provide you with a permanent Bally ID card.
- Use your Bally ID card each time you visit a Bally location and Healthways Fitness Your Way points will be awarded as usual.
Fitness Location Utilization
What should I do if the fitness location isn't familiar with the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program?
Seeing the “Prime” symbol on your membership card (and your 16-digit ID number) is the best way for a fitness center to recognize the program, so be sure to bring your card with you. If the staff member is not familiar with the program, the General Manager of the fitness location is usually able to help. If the issue cannot be immediately resolved, please contact Customer Service at (888) 242-2060, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone. Fitness location staff can also call that number for assistance with questions they may have.
What is included in my Healthways Fitness Your Way Program membership? Do I have to pay extra fees for personal training, child care, etc.?
Your Healthways Fitness Your Way Program membership gives you general access to any fitness location in the network. Each fitness facility is unique and some may charge fees for extra services. Check with the facility to see if there are extra charges for specific classes (such as Zumba or yoga), child care, tanning, personal training, swimming, etc.
Can I get a family membership plan?
The Healthways Fitness Your Way Program does not offer family membership rates; however, all family members over age 18 who are covered by your health benefit plan are eligible to participate in the program. Each member pays the $25 enrollment fee and $25 monthly membership fee.
Must I choose only one fitness location in the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program network?
No. You may visit any number of participating fitness locations across the nation. You are not limited to how many fitness locations you can visit.
What if I am already enrolled at a fitness location prior to joining the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program and have paid an enrollment fee?
If you have a current fitness location membership and would like to enroll in the Healthways Fitness Your Way program, you will want to cancel your current membership prior to enrolling. You will need to work with your current fitness location regarding your contract with them to avoid being billed for both memberships. The Healthways Fitness Your Way Program is unable to refund any previous enrollment fees you may have paid and you will still have to pay the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program’s one-time $25 enrollment fee in order to become a member of the program.
Billing and Payments
How do I report a billing error?
Please contact Customer Service at (888) 242-2060,, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone.
How do I cancel my membership?
Please contact Customer Service at (888) 242-2060,, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone.
How long does it take for my membership to be cancelled after I initiate a cancellation?
Your Healthways Fitness Your Way Program membership will be cancelled on the last day of the billing cycle during which we receive your cancellation request. You will continue to have unlimited access to all participating locations in the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program network until the beginning of the next billing cycle.
May I re-enroll in the program after I’ve canceled?
Yes, it is quick and easy to rejoin the Healthways Fitness Your Way Program. Just call Customer Service at (888) 242-2060, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone and re-enroll in the program. Your previous account history is saved for your convenience and will be available when you re-enroll. If you re-enroll in less than 90 days after your cancellation, you will not be charged the $25 enrollment fee. After the 90-day period, the enrollment fee will be charged and you will be issued a new member number. (Even though you have a new member number you will still have access to your previous program history.) If you wish to re-enroll prior to the end of a billing cycle for which you’d paid, we ask that you call to re-enroll after that billing cycle has closed.
May I cancel my cancellation request if I change my mind before you turn my account off?
You cannot withdraw your cancellation but you can re-enroll in the program—call Customer Service at (888) 242-2060, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone. You will keep your old member number and have access to your program history. If you wish to re-enroll prior to the end of a billing cycle for which you’d paid, we ask that you call to re-enroll after that billing cycle has closed.
Why was my account charged after my cancellation was supposed to be final?
Will I receive a refund of my payments after I cancel?
Upon enrollment, you commit to a three-month membership. If you would like to cancel within three days of your enrollment, please call customer service at (888) 242-2060, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., in any U.S. time zone. You will receive a full refund of the $25 enrollment fee and $25 monthly fee and will not be charged for the remaining two months. If you elect to cancel after the first three days of your enrollment, you will be obligated to fulfill your three-month membership commitment.
What happens if my card is declined or I have insufficient funds in my designated payment account on the billing date?
It will be your responsibility to make sure that funds are available. If the payment is unsuccessful, we will attempt payment again in five days. After five days, your account will be terminated. You will have 90 days from the unsuccessful payment date to update your account and continue the program. If you decide to continue the program after 90 days have passed, you will be charged the missed payment and a new $25 enrollment fee.